Saturday, February 7, 2009

Struggling and I Need a Heads Up

This morning the day dawned bright and beautiful... I did part of my Bible study outside, a gentle breeze blowing... my thoughts were bright and optimistic.
More...
It's funny how easy it is for our minds to take a nosedive. Doubt creeps in and before you know it, you're back down in a hole. I am finishing my Bible study late today because I got caught up in some things and before I knew it... the day was gone. I saw a flirtatious comment from TJ to one of his facebook friends and it stung. Right now I feel pretty hurt. If the woman truly looks anything like her facebook profile pic then she is beautiful. I am so confused right now. Am I supposed to feel angry, am I supposed to feel frustrated, am I supposed to feel hurt? I don't know what I am supposed to feel. I keep praying and praying and reading and trying not to feel anything but patience and kindness and understanding. But, God help me, I am hurt and angry and at times I am still tempted to run. I still cry, I still hurt, and yes, sometimes I even try to pretend I'm ok. If I were ok, then why does the slightest thing through me off balance?

The following is taken from The Gift the New Testament for New Believers:
A good man produces good out of the good storeroom of his heart. Luke 6:45

If you've ever wasted a whole evening trying to get the bonus level on a video game, then you know what it's like to close your eyes at bedtime and see hostile, cartoon enemies sailing across the blank screen of your eyelids. That's because the thoughts you dwell on don't just come to visit. They come to stay. And if they're not the good kind, they can get to be very annoying company before they're done.
The same way a head cold makes your whole body feel lousy the connection of your thought life affects your whole behavior. If you allow yourself to stew about the friend who mistreated you, you'll pass up lots of chances to mend you relationship. If you allow the movie screen to singe your ears with more rotten language than you already have to put up with at work or at school, you'll start hearing it come out of your own mouth as well. But if you fill your mind with things that you know God would like and if you'll plug your ears to the devil's pack of lies, your feet will walk a straight line to spiritual success. And that's worth thinking about.
Luke 6:43-45
You have ears, you have eyes, you have time and you have television--you have all kinds of ways to get all kinds of stuff into your head, but only one way to control it. The biggest battle you'll face as a Christian will take place every day--right between your ears.

"A good tree doesn't produce bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree produce good fruit. For each tree is known by its own fruit. Figs aren't gathered from thorn bushes, or grapes picked from a bramble bush. A good man produces good out of the good storeroom of his heart, and an evil man produces evil out of the evil storeroom. For his mouth speaks from the overflow of the heart." Luke 6:43-45

O Heavenly Father, forgive me for focusing on the negative and allowing my mind to dwell on things I can't control. You have my best interests in mind and I trust in You. Thank You, God, for your forgiveness. In the name of Your son, Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment