Sunday, February 8, 2009

Not All About Me


The drive up to NC was breathtaking. About the time I neared Traveler's Rest, I looked at the sky. More...
I could see the mountain tops above the clouds, I paused a moment and thanked God for the beauty of His awesome creation. In the clouds, I could see the mighty hand of God, white and touched with the palest of pinks across the tops, I was amazed. The worship service was awesome also, with the sermon on the power of love. I looked over at TJ at the end of the sermon right before prayer and saw tears in his eyes. I reached out to him and he took my hand and held on tight throughout the prayer. I believe he is approaching the time of needing someone to hold out a hand, I am willing, Lord, use me as Your instrument. Just last night Eddie was saying he didn't feel led to attempt to open a dialogue with TJ, yet You spoke to him in church today and he feels it is time. I am continually amazed at Your ways, Lord.

The following comes from The Gift the New Testament for New Believers.
My, my, my.
You don't have to look far to find plenty of personal matters you can pray to God about. Between the new clutch, that costs 500 dollars you don't have, the work that's due the day after tomorrow, the sins that overtake you in the day and the worries that keep you up at night, you can talk God's ear off from now till next weekend and never get past your own little world.
But as surely as God cares about the things that concern you most (and loves it when you turn to Him for help), He wants to begin transforming your prayer life the same way He's been changing you everywhere else--from inside out, from self to service, from me to my neighbor.
God is making you into a person who genuinely loves and cares about people other than yourself. As your heart for them begins spilling over into your prayer time, you'll find yourself continually pleading their case before a higher court, sharing the load of their sufferings, and taking their hope in Him to new heights.

We can hardly sleep sometimes from thinking about our own problems. Even when we're not praying about them, they never quite leave the back of our minds. But as you start praying for other people's problems you'll become a lot less frightened of your own.
"Then He came to the disciples and found them sleeping. 'What?' He asked Peter. 'Couldn't you stay awake with Me one hour? Stay awake and pray, so that you won't enter into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.' " Matthew 26:40-41

O Lord, I pray You will continue to lead me in Your ways and help me to continue to grow. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment