Thursday, February 12, 2009

Witnessing--Sharing the Wealth

Good morning, Lord. I come before You again today and say I am Your willing servant.
More... It is tough to try to make myself available to You, Lord. My spirit is willing but my flesh fails all too often. I am thankful that You are patient, kind, and forgiving. If only it were easy to be forgiving of myself. I have prayed about You using me and I still find myself trying to take over. I'm sorry, Lord.
"Be willing to enter their world to tell them about Christ, rather than bringing them into your world before you can talk." John Camp
Family and friends need to hear my story so they might learn more about You. I am Your instrument, use me, O Lord, to restore, to rebuild, and to renew my marriage. You have given me some insight into our problems and I wait for the opportunity to use what You have taught me.
So now the question comes to me that is that what You want, for me to wait? I am afraid of not hearing You when You tell me to speak and of not waiting when You tell me to wait. I want what You want me to do, I know I can not repair anything in my relationship, but I do know that You can use me as an instrument for You to repair it. Help me, O Lord.

The following comes from The Gift the New Testament for New Believers:
Share the Wealth: Witnessing
"How can they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how can they believe without hearing a preacher?" (Romans 10:14)
He's got a point there.
As logical as it sounds, you'll never have to look far to find an excuse for staying silent. You're in too big of a hurry. Or you don't know your Bible well enough. Or you're not a good enough Christian to be talking. And you're pretty sure they're not interested anyway. Besides, you've got milk spoiling in the trunk.
But if you're ever able to realize that God can use you right where you are, that you're not personally responsible for how people take your word of witness, and that you never know where the seed you plant today may sprout tomorrow, you can feel free bringing God up in conversation anywhere He says. And trusting Him to get through to the people closest to you.
If you're willing to open your mouth, God will give you the words to say--and an audience that He's already primed to hear what Jesus Christ has done for you. You have a story that'll speak volumes to someone, and a God who can put the two of you together.
"But you, be on your guard! They will hand you over to the sanhedrins, and you will be flogged in the synagogues. You will stand before governors and kings because of Me, as a witness to them. And the good news must first be proclaimed to all nations. So when they arrest you and hand you over, don't worry beforehand what you will say. On the contrary, whatever is given to you in that hour--say it. For it isn't you who are speaking, but the Holy Spirit." Mark 13:9-11
Am I missing the point? I believe God will give me the words to say at the right time. I am sometimes afraid of not hearing Him though. I am working and learning and am thankful that God is patient and forgiving.

Numbers 14:17-18: "Now may the Lord's strength be displayed, just as you have declared: 'The Lord is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet, He does not leave the guilty unpunished; He punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.'"
Moses pleaded with God, asking Him to forgive his people. His plea reveals several characteristics of God: (1) God is immensely patient; (2) God's love is one promise we can always count on; (3) God forgives again and again; (4) God is merciful, listening to and answering our requests. God has not changed since Moses' day. Like Moses, we can rely on God's love, patience, forgiveness, and mercy.
"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." Proverbs 12:16
When someone annoys or insults you, it is natural to retaliate. But this solves nothing and only encourages trouble. Instead, answer slowly and quietly. Your positive response will achieve positive results. Proverbs 15:1 says "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
Have you ever tried to argue in a whisper? It is equally hard to argue with someone who insists on speaking gently. On the other hand, a rising voice and harsh words almost always trigger an angry response. To turn way wrath and seek peace, choose gentle words.

"Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools." Ecclesiastes 7:9


No comments:

Post a Comment