Monday, February 9, 2009

Breakfast of Champions

You may not think fasting is for you. After all, isn't that more of an advanced skill--something more suited to those who have enough holiness in reserve to survive on 40 days of tap water and beef broth?More...

Actually, fasting is for anyone who's ever felt squeezed by a pressing prayer concern, anyone who battles to keep his sinful self-will from calling the shots, anyone who's woken up in the morning with his head in a blur, unable to concentrate on one thought for two seconds without being bombarded by three more.
It's for everyone.
Try it for just one meal. Or one day. You can fast with lots of things besides just food, such as a certain food group you're struggling to avoid. Or the television. Or the Internet. Or the mall. Anything that's standing between you and pure, free-flowing fellowship with the Lord.
By starving the growling appetites of the flesh and devoting the time you save into quiet times of prayer, worship, and Bible reading, you'll find yourself renewed, refreshed, restored. Back in control.

The following is taken from The Gift the New Testament for New Believers:
Some people aren't all that high on the discipline of fasting, but the one protesting the loudest is that old flesh inside you that wants its way about everything. Once you've gotten yourself filled up at God's table, you won't be hungry for anything else.
"Then they said to Him, 'John's disciples fast often and say prayers, and those of the Pharisees do the same, but Yours eat and drink.' Jesus said to them, 'You can't make the wedding guests fast while the groom is with them, can you? But the days will come when the groom will be taken away from them--then they will fast in those days.'" Luke 5:33-35

I realize just how dependent I had gotten on the television. I missed it a little bit a first, but am discovering I don't really need it. Thank You, Lord, for all You have done.

I have struggled today, something just hasn't felt exactly right. I know You are in control, but sometimes my mind tries to take over. Forgive me, Lord, for being impatient. Thank You for Your gift of seeing the workings of Your spirit in my life as well as the lives of others. Amen.

I am realizing I prayed for help and that this is a opportunity for me to grow and search my heart and understand what I want, with all my heart. Thank You, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment