Friday, February 13, 2009

Forgiveness Under the Bridge

Lord, thank You for Your patience. It is Yours, I give up and turn it over to You. All I did was make a big mess of it all and I'm sorry. I know You can handle and only You can use it for Your purposes.
More...
"Shouldn't you also have mercy on your fellow slave, as I had mercy on you?" Matthew 18:33
You know how much God loves to see you in church. He smiles the whole time you're tugging yourself out of bed on Sunday morning, splashing water on your face, grabbing a bagel or biscuit, and zooming down to soak up the fellowship, enter into praise, and hear the Word explained and experienced in the flow of worship. Throw in Sunday and Wednesday nights, and you're a long way toward getting your Cristian priorities in apple-pie order.
Knowing how important church attendance and involvement are in your overall spiritual health, it's worth listening carefully when Jesus says, "If you are offering your gift on the altar, and there you remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there and in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift" (Matthew 5:23-24).
Your life will stay fairly empty and you'll strain to be free to worship and serve the Lord if you don't give forgiveness the chance to come first.

The following comes from The Gift the New Testament for New Believers:
"Our principal weapon in the crises we face in the world is love, and love operates only in a state of reconciliation and forgiveness." Pat Robertson
"'Shouldn't you also have had mercy on your fellow slave, as I had mercy on you?' And his master got angry and handed him over to the jailers until he could pay everything that was owed. So My heavenly Father will also do to you if each of you does not forgive his brother from his heart." Matthew 18:32-35
We all know that love is the unifying force which turns our faithfulness into effectiveness. But trailing along at a close second is another key ingredient: forgiveness. You'll learn how to forgive, or you'll live a life of inadequate blessing and short-circuited ministry.

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and i will give thanks to Him in song." Psalm 28:6-7

"O Lord, You have searched me and You know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue You know it completely, O Lord. You hem me in--behind and before; You have laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from Your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your presence? If I go up to the heavens, You are there; if I make my bed in the depths, You are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to You; the night will shine lie the day, for darkness is as light to You. For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with You. If only You would slay the wicked, O God! Away from me, you bloodthirsty men! They speak of You with evil intent; You adversaries misuse Your name, Do I not hate those who hate You, O Lord, and abhor those who rise up against You? I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139

Pray for all things, even in anger. God knows what is meant and what is felt. We need God's help to forgive others.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Help me, O God.

No comments:

Post a Comment