Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Humility

Thank You, Lord, for another beautiful day. Thank You for another safe night and for the awesome power of Your love and forgiveness. I am thankful to be alive and to have the opportunities presented to me.
More...
I miss TJ and my boys. I have felt lonely but not to the same degree as before. I know You are with me and I am comforted. I ask that You would help me to be patient and to live for You alone. Amen.

Today's passages are from Exodus 13:1-22 with the following prayer:
May I be strong and courageous and careful to obey Your word; may I not turn from it to the right or to the left, that I may act wisely wherever I go. (Joshua 1:7)
I ask You, Lord, for wisdom and for a greater skill in all areas of my life. My life is Yours, help me use my skills to glorify You, O Lord.

The following is from The Gift the New Testament for New Believers:

You wouldn't know him. He lived in a small town and preached in a small church, earning a salary so small that he had to take a job at a local clothing factory to provide for his wife and family. Even in stature he was small, not the kind of man who entered a room with an immediate presence. You could have passed him in the mall or waited behind him in line at the grocery store and not have paid him much attention.
But this man with the small life was a giant among men, backing up his Sunday morning words with a long, unassuming list of all week-long actions. Who knows how many times his neighbors had seen him at their door with a sackful of beans and tomatoes from his garden?-- or how many times an elderly widow had heard his mower starting up in her yard?--or how many strangers had literally received the shirt (and possibly even the coat) right off his back?
You wouldn't know. He'd never say.
It takes big people to be truly humble.

Humble people don't tend to attract a lot of attention--not because they feel inferior, but because they know the value of serving people where only God can see it. Want to feel good about your elf when you lie down at night? Think about others through the day.

"When it is in your power, don't withhold good from the one to whom it is due. Don't say to your neighbor, 'Go away! Come back later. I'll give it tomorrow'--when it is there with you. don't plan any harm against your neighbor, for he trusts you and lives near you. Don't accuse anyone without cause, when he has done you no harm. Don't envy a violent man or choose any of his ways; for the devious are detestable to the Lord, but He is a friend to the upright. The Lord's curse is on the household of the wicked, but He blesses the home of the righteous; He mocks those who mock, but gives grace to the humble. The wise will inherit honor, but He holds up fools to dishonor.'" Proverbs 3:27-35

Help me Lord to be humble. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment