Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Value Judgments... Choosing Wisely

I am still feeling sad, Lord, but after my readings this morning I am feeling better.
More...

The following is taken from The Gift the New Testament for New Believers:

You can avoid the pain of countless regrets, disappoint yourself (and others) much less frequently, and keep your daily schedule from running your life out of control by memorizing this simple response: "No."
There--you said it. Of course, it wasn't easy. It may have meant you had to pick the library over your Sunday School class picnic this Saturday, or stay up an extra two hours tonight to make time for your child's Little League game this afternoon, or finish up your small-group Bible study homework instead of watching the Cubs on TV. But those are the choices you will have to make it you want to be the person God's grooming you to be--the person you see in your mind's eye when a sermon hits home or a book speaks right to you.
Learning to say no to the good--and okay to the better--will move you light years ahead on your Christian journey, leaving you free to enjoy the ride. And to make sure you're traveling at God's steady pace.

Sometimes your choices are not between right and wrong but between good, better, and best. Then the only way to make the best decision is to determine what God would want you to do in that particular situation or with that certain amount of time.

"'People, I call out to you; my cry is to mankind. Learn to be shrewd, you who are inexperienced; develop common sense, you who are foolish. Listen, for I speak of noble things and what my lips say is right. For my mouth tells the truth, and wickedness is detestable to my lips. All the words of my mouth are righteous; none of them are deceptive or perverse. All of them are clear to the perceptive, and right to those who discover knowledge. Accept my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than pure gold. For wisdom is better than precious stones and nothing desirable can compare with it.'" Proverbs 8:4-11

No comments:

Post a Comment