Sunday, February 15, 2009

Being Spirit-Filled... More and More

Hello, Lord. It's Sunday and it seems like Satan wants me out of church for some reason. It's OK, I'm not going to let him win.
More...
Last night we went to see "Fireproof". It was a good movie and I cried lots. I would love to do the love dare, but I'm not sure that is possible long distance. Anyway, TJ emailed me a couple of times today and Robin called to say church wasn't the same without me. I really hate hurting her, Lord, I hope she will forgive me. I am praying as to what I should say to TJ and I'll wait to answer his email for awhile.

The following is taken from The Gift the New Testament for New Believers:
Yes, there is a way to operate your car without the benefit of gas. You throw it in neutral, open the driver's side door, heave with all the isometric power you can generate from your knees and shoulders, and at least creep it to the side of the road to avoid being smashed by moving traffic. You won't go far. You won't go fast. And even if you're able to keep it rolling a little while, you'll eventually come to a steep enough incline to bring your hard work to a weary halt.
That's life in the slow lane--without the Holy Spirit's power animating your actions, injecting your mind with spiritual insights, driving you to acts of unselfish love and kindness, steering you toward people in need of God's tender touch.
If you don't want to stay stranded on the shoulder of the Christian road, offer the Spirit a clean car to drive. Let Him take you for a joy ride to your chosen destination, keeping your tank filled with supreme purpose, your steps in perfect balance and alignment, your engine running on all cylinders.

"The way to cultivate true graces of character is by submitting ourselves utterly to the Spirit to do His work and bear His fruit." R.A. Torrey

In order for you to be all that God wants you to become, you'll need much more than a sturdy resolve. you'll need the Holy Spirit of God. He has a way of empowering you that's better than anything you can come up with on your own.
"On the last and most important day of the festival, Jesus stood up and cried out, 'If anyone is thirsty, he should come to Me and drink! The one who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, will have streams of living water flow from deep within him.' He said this about the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were going to receive, for the Spirit had not yet been received, because Jesus had not yet been glorified." John 7:37-39

No comments:

Post a Comment